Internship Opportunity – Research intern / International law
Title: Research intern / International law
Duration: 3-6 months
Reporting to: Executive director
Convinced that the diversity that has historically defined Syria is a wealth, our team of researchers and volunteers works with dedication at uncovering human rights violations committed in Syria, in order to promote inclusiveness and ensure that all Syrians are represented, and their rights fulfilled.
Since its establishment, STJ has had access to thousands of victims, documented hundreds of violations, and trained dozens of human rights activists. Its private database reflects this engagement and aims at contributing to the prospects for justice. Covering all areas of Syria, STJ has fostered its experience of documenting in a conflict zone in order to reach out to the population, hear their story, and collect evidence. Willing to enhance the Syrian civil society, we also implement capacity building projects in various topics, including digital security and civic engagement in order to transfer our skills and expertise to change-makers in the field.
- Monitor developments with regards to the UNSC and UNGA.
- Conduct research with regards to International Humanitarian and Criminal Law applicable to violations committed in Syria.
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director, draft policy papers and statements to be published with the aim of supporting STJ’s advocacy strategy.
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in international law or human rights;
- Master’s Degree is a plus;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude;
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; Arabic language desirable;
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies;
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
How to apply: Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 August 2019.
Please note that this opportunity is voluntary and that STJ does not provide a stipend for this position.