|Organization name||Syrians for Truth and Justice www.stj-sy.org|
|Job title||Communications Officer|
|Type of contract||Consultancy contract. Three months renewable. Starting on 12 December 2022.|
|Location||Remote – Preferably based in Europe|
|Reporting to||Executive director|
Syrians for Truth and Justice (STJ) is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization monitoring human rights violations in Syria. Founded in Turkey in 2015, STJ has been based in France since 2019.
STJ is an impartial and independent Syrian human rights organizations operating in Syria, with field researchers working in difficult-to-access internally-displaced camps and civilian centers. Our network of field researchers monitors and reports human rights violations occurring on the ground in Syria, while our international team of human rights experts, lawyers, and journalists gather evidence, examine emerging patterns of violations, and analyze how violations break domestic Syrian and international law.
Our commitment to human rights monitoring is founded on the idea that professional human rights documentation meeting international standards is the first step to uncovering the truth and achieving justice in Syria, and in the long run, working towards a sustainable peace in Syria achieved through processes of transitional justice.
- Educate the public about ongoing human rights violations in Syria
- Participate and grow partnerships with journalists, NGO partners, and international and national representatives (i.e. UN, EU, Department of State).
- Engage international and national representatives (i.e. UN bodies, EU, Department of State) by attending conferences, meetings, and submitting interventions.
- Increase the different projects’ visibility, build and implement communication and advocacy plans for the projects
- Following up with significant incidents regarding Syria / international days
- Build and implement an inclusive communication strategy that calls for all parties’ human rights accountability.
- Manage the organization’s social media accounts to help share reports and information.
- Upload reports on the website (proofread both English and Arabic reports).
- Draft and send weekly newsletters.
- Generate press coverage in local and international media by coordinating and collaborating with journalists to increase STJ’s media outreach. The Communications Officer should be comfortable speaking to the media and the public (i.e., being quoted, filmed, and/or participating in panel discussions).
- Capable of traveling and representing the organization in human rights conferences organized by state or international bodies, or NGO partners.
- Coordinate small-scale campaigns and organize events, in collaboration with researchers, designers, and video editors.
- In collaboration with the fundraising officer, help to complete narrative and activities reports.
- Write and publish press releases.
- Communication with the board members
Skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field including media and international relations.
- Minimum of three year’s experience in a similar role in the NGO sector.
- Fluent in English and Arabic.
- Knowledge of the Syrian context
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite and Photoshop, as well as ideally WordPress and Mailchimp.
- Knowledge of other languages such as French or Kurdish
- Based in Europe. For an exceptional candidate, they may be based outside Europe.
How to apply?
Send CV, Cover Letter, and two references by the end of the day 30 November 2022 to